1.5 Cups Flour
1 Cup Vegetable Oil
2.5 Cups Onions, Medium dice
2.5 Cups Green Peppers, Medium dice
1.5 Cups Celery, Medium dice
3 TBSP Paul Prudhomme’s Meat Magic Seasoning
3 TBSP Minced Garlic
1/4 Cup Tomato Paste
2-2.5 Quarts Chicken Stock (If using rice use 2.5 Quarts, because it will be thicker)
1 Cup Long Grain White Rice (optional)
1.5 Lbs. Isaly’s Chopped Ham, 1/3″ Dice
1 TBSP Gumbo File
5 Oz. Okra
a/n Fresh Lemon Juice
1. Make a dark roux in a large sauce pot. To make a very dark roux quickly add the oil to the pot and let heat up until it is extremely hot. Once the oil is hot VERY CAREFULLY add the flour and mix immediately, otherwise it will burn the bottom of the pot. The mixture should turn dark very quickly. Caution: Be very careful when making the roux, it will be extremely hot!!!
2. Once the roux is a little darker than peanut butter, add the onions and celery and meat magic and sweat out for about 5 minutes.
3. Add garlic and tomato paste and allow to cook for about 3-4 minutes and then add green peppers. Continue to cook for another 4 minutes.
4. Add cold chicken stock and with a whisk incorporating it into the other ingredients. Remember, this will not be at its fullest thickness until it comes up to a boil.
5. (Optional Step) Add rice and cook for about 25 minutes.
6. If not adding rice, let the gumbo simmer gently for about 20 minutes to allow the flour taste to cook out. Then add ham and cook for about 10 minutes, then add gumbo file, okra and lemon juice. Note: Don’t add salt because the meat magic and ham have plenty of it. If you feel that you need more salt, add it at the very end.